Spencer has a rich and vibrant Aboriginal programs staffed through support teacher Jon Carr and Aboriginal support worker Nadine Charles. Spencer is a grade 7- 9 Middle School which enrolls approximately 620 students, 10% of which are of Aboriginal ancestry. This population forms a diverse group, primarily off – reserve, non – status and Métis populations.
Role of the Aboriginal Education Department
– provide in-class support
– provide inclusive cultural enrichment activities
– provide strategies needed to be successful in and out of the classroom
– provide field trips to build on sense of belonging and community
– provide proof-reading and homework help on request
– provide relevant, local and cultural curriculum
– provide cultural resources including books, kits, lesson plans, role model speakers that support classroom learning
– provide in-class support to your students through co-teaching, small group instruction, or one-on-one support
ESD support is provided to Aboriginal students when they may need extra support throughout the school year. This can apply to any subject area, and develops comprehension, vocabulary, speaking, reading, writing, and/or language output.
Contact & STAFF
We acknowledge the traditional Coast Salish territories on which we work, play, and live at Spencer Middle School.
Phone: (250) 474-1291 ext. 366
Fax: (250) 474-2132
Kathleen Meiklejohn – Aboriginal Education Support Teacher
Sharon Bond – Aboriginal Education Support Worker