If your child is going to be absent from school please let us know. Use our new attendance email address: email@example.com Please add this to your email contacts and let us know if your child (First name , last name, Grade and Teacher’s name) will be absent or late.
Regular and punctual student attendance is foundational to student success and engagement. Consistent attendance is the responsibility of the student and parent/guardian. Absence(s) due to illness or other extenuating circumstances needs to be confirmed by the parent/guardian by telephone or email, prior to the absence or upon the student’s return to school for the absence to be considered “excused.”
A student requiring an early dismissal due to illness or for appointments during school hours will provide a written or telephone notice before checking out through the general office. We encourage you to email or call ahead, so we can ensure your child is ready upon your arrival.
Where an extended period of absenteeism is anticipated, the school should be advised and home study materials requested, if appropriate.
It is expected that a parent(s)/guardian(s) of students will monitor their attendance by checking through the MyEducationBC Family portal and consult their teacher, a counsellor or administrator if assistance or advice is needed.
Extended or lengthy absences (family) should be communicated well in advance if possible. Discussions about the best option for providing educational services while away from school will follow to determine the best way to meet student needs while balancing school resources.
In order to support regular attendance and student engagement, the school’s teachers, counsellors, and administration will communicate with parents/guardians regarding concerns about student engagement & unexcused absences and provide support by:
- communicating with parent(s)/guardian(s) by phone or email concerns about absences or lates.
- teacher referral to the counsellor and Vice-Principal.
- referral to School-Based Team.
- monthly school wide review of attendance.
- collaborate with a student, their parent(s)/guardian(s), and/or school-based team (teacher, counsellor, Vice-Principal, district support staff) to create a plan for regular attendance.
Continued truancy/unexcused absence may result in:
- a meeting where student and parent(s)/guardian(s) are required to attend with the Principal and/or the Vice-Principal to explore solutions to address attendance.
- not meeting the required Learning Standards and impacting grades.
- non-disciplinary actions to support student via a referral to School or District-Based Team to assess supports.
Spencer is a closed campus. This means, when students arrive on the school grounds, they are to stay on school grounds until 3:10 at the end of the day. Thank you for respecting this rule which helps keep all students safe.