SPENCER MIDDLE SCHOOL
CODE OF CONDUCT
A “Code of Conduct” is a statement about how we work together. It outlines both our rights and our responsibilities as members of Spencer Middle School. A committee of students, parents, and school staff developed our “Code” in accordance with School District 62 Policy and the B.C. Human Rights Code. Information was collected from all groups and put together to make the Code of Conduct. Embedded within this code of conduct are the four Spencer values: Empathy, Honesty, Kindness and Respect.
A SAFE AND CARING COMMUNITY
Spencer Middle School is a safe and caring school. As members of this school community we have a responsibility to act in ways that are free of:
- Bullying, harassment, threat and intimidation;
- Physical violence and/or violence of any form;
- Verbal, physical, cyber or sexual abuse;
- Discrimination, especially based on race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or age (BC Human Rights Code);
- Theft, vandalism and general mischief.
Our safe and caring school environment does not tolerate the presence of:
- Intoxicating substances (such as alcohol or non-medicinal drugs);
- Weapons and explosives, regardless of whether real or replica;
- Intruders or trespassers;
- Smoking, vaping or associated paraphernalia
- Students are expected to treat our environment and each other with kindness and care, empathy, honesty and respect.
- The school expects that students will actively participate through effort and punctual, regular attendance, in their assigned education program.
- Students are expected to respect the rights and property of all Spencer staff and students.
- Students are expected to comply with classroom expectations set by individual teachers in order to ensure that all students’ rights to effective and efficient learning environments are respected.
- Students are expected to wear clothing that is appropriate for an educational environment.
- Students are expected to respect all school and school related events and ensure they are free from use of restricted substances, weapons and of intimidation.
- Students are expected to respect and use school computers and technology appropriately.
- Students are expected to turn off cell phones and store in lockers throughout the day.
- Students are expected to stay on campus throughout the entire day.
- Students will not interfere with the learning or learning environment of others.
- Students will not display behaviour that includes bullying, harassment, intimidation, or be racially, ethnically, or sexually prejudiced.
- Students will not steal, smoke, vape or be in possession of, or under the influence of, drugs or alcohol while on the school property or in attendance of any school events.
- Students will not plagiarize (copy) electronic or print media or other students’ work or display any academic dishonesty.
- Students will not be involved in any acts of verbal or cyber-hate messaging/cyber-hate websites.
- Students will not be involved in any illegal acts such as assault, theft/vandalism or damage to property.